Publisher: juwi AG
juwi to construct 13.6MWp solar farm for APA at the Gruyere Gold Mine
- The solar farm and a 4.4 MW battery-energy storage system will be integrated into the existing APA Gas-fired Power Station
© GruyereBrisbane/ Wörrstadt (renewablepress) - Juwi Renewable Energy Pty Ltd, the Brisbane based subsidiary of German renewable energy specialist juwi AG, signed an agreement with APA to construct the solar PV component of a medium penetration solar/gas/battery hybrid power solution for the Gruyere Gold Mine in Western Australia. APA owns and operates the Gruyere hybrid project, which delivers the mine site’s electricity needs. The solar farm is expected to be operational later this year.
Dave Manning, Director Global Hybrid at juwi said “We look forward to assisting APA and the mine owners, a 50:50 joint venture between Gold Road Resources Ltd and the global miner Gold Fields Limited (together ‘Gruyere JV’), to help reduce the overall carbon intensity and cost of power supply to the Gruyere Gold Mine.”
The benefits of the overall hybrid power solution at Gruyere Gold Mine include:
• Lower carbon intensity of power supply, reducing carbon emissions by an estimated 16,000 tCO2-e per annum;
• Ameliorating gas power generation capacity constraints, including the de-rating of gas engine performance at high ambient temperatures; and
• Enable increased plant throughput in line with Gruyere JV’s growth plans.
In the first phase of works, APA will expand the Gruyere Power Station with the installation of a twelfth reciprocating gas-fired engine. The expansion is expected to be commissioned in mid-2021. As part of the second phase, juwi Renewable Energy was contracted to deliver a 13MWp solar farm. APA will also back up the solar with a 4.4MW/4.4MWh battery energy storage system. The Gruyere Microgrid is expected to be commissioned in Q4 2021.
Juwi has already achieved remarkable success in the Australian market having completed three hybrid projects with a further four utility scale hybrid projects currently under construction including: Esperance (Horizon Power), Jacinth Ambrosia (Iluka Resources), Jabiru (NT Government) and now Gruyere.
A fifth hybrid project is currently under construction in South Africa. About 120 kilometres southeast of Johannesburg juwi is setting up a 10MW solar park for a gold mine.
About the juwi group
The juwi group is one of the leading specialists for renewable energies. The German renewable energy pioneer has been offering complete project development as well as other services relating to the planning, construction and operation of renewable energy systems for 25 years. The juwi group's business areas include projects with wind and solar energy as well as hybrid systems with storage systems for industrial applications.
Juwi was founded in 1996 in Rhineland-Palatinate. The company is now based in Wörrstadt near Mainz and has been part of Mannheim-based MVV Energie AG, one of the largest municipal energy providers in Germany, since the end of 2014. The juwi group employs around 850 people worldwide and has projects on every continent. There are branches in: Germany, Italy, Greece, South Africa, the USA, Japan, Australia, India as well as the Philippines, Thailand and Singapore.
To date, juwi has implemented more than 1,000 wind energy systems with an output of more than 2,400 megawatts at around 180 locations worldwide; in the solar segment there are around 1,800 PV systems with a total output of more than 3,000 megawatts. Together, these energy systems generate around nine billion kilowatt hours of electricity each year; In purely mathematical terms, this corresponds to the annual requirements of around three million households in Germany. For the implementation of the energy projects, juwi has initiated an investment volume of almost ten billion euros over the past 25 years.
Download press photo:
Wörrstadt, 15 April 2021
Publication and Reprint free of charge; please send a voucher copy to juwi AG.
Attention editorial offices - For further questions please contact:
Tel: +49 (0)6732 9657-1244
Mob: +49 (0)1520 9331878
Online press kit - all press releases from juwi AG
Press photos for editorial use only
Note: For the content of this press release the issuer / publisher of the release is »juwi AG« responsible.
More press releases from juwi AG
- juwi to construct world’s largest solar hybrid project at an off-grid mine for Centamin in Egypt
- juwi Shizen Energy Starts Construction of 100MW EPC Project “Azuma Kofuji Solar Power Plant” in Fukushima Prefecture
- juwi to construct solar park for Jabiru in the Northern Territory
- Photovoltaic expansion outside Germany’s Renewable Energy Law, EEG: juwi hands over subsidy-free solar park to municipal utility
- juwi group exceeds 3,000 megawatts of installed photovoltaic capacity
- Start of construction for Europe's largest bifacial solar park
- juwi Shizen Energy constructs 54-megawatt-solarpark on a former golf course in Japan
- Colorado Springs Utilities and juwi Sign Power Purchase Agreement for One of the Largest Battery Storage Projects in the State
- juwi to construct wind and solar farm in regional Western Australia
- Michael Class will remain CEO of juwi AG for five years
About juwi AG
juwi is one of the world’s leading companies in the area of renewable energy with a strong regional presence. The company offers project development and EPC services as well as products and solutions for the energy turnaround. Company activities are mainly projects with solar and wind.
The juwi group was established in 1996 in Rhineland-Palatinate. Since the end of 2014, Mannheim based utility MVV Energie AG has been co-owner and partner of the juwi-group. juwi has about 1,000 employees worldwide, branches on all continents and is actively engaged in various projects all over the globe. Working together with passion to implement renewable energy economically and reliably is what drives us.
So far, juwi has realized around 840 wind turbines with a total capacity of approx. 1,800 megawatts at more than 100 sites. In the solar segment, more than 1,500 projects with a total capacity of around 1,400 megawatts have been designed and constructed. Combined, these energy systems produce around six billion kilowatt hours of clean energy per year, equalling the annual demand of around 1.5 million German households. Within the past 18 years, juwi has initiated an investment volume of around six billion euros to realize these projects.
Press contact at juwi AG
Phone: +49 (0)6732 9657-1244